Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Been busy

So we have been busy in getting things done around our homestead.  We visited a local green house and purchased plants and seeds for the garden.  We bought 2 raspberry/blackberry plant s but could not bring myself to buy more than that for $10 per plant.  We also bought 3 different grapes and 2 blueberry bushes.  We also bought peat pots while there. 
A few days later we were up at my grandparents and behold they have tons of berry bushes that are growing all over the wind breaks around the property.  Well for a little effort and time we dug up about 10 more plants.  Now we did not get these planted right away and not sure all of them from that digging will make it but it costs me nothing.
The first round of seeds that DH had started in the house just didn’t do so well.  We sat one afternoon on the deck during spring break and filled the pots with potting soil and then planted a variety of our seeds.  And guess what…in less than one week we have sprouts.  I am just worried we will have more started than we can plant in our garden. 
THE DH did get some of the herbs that we bought into the ground in the new herb garden.  I am just waiting on my shipment from Horizon Herbs.  I hope to get most of the herb garden in by Memorial Weekend but will just go with the flow on it. 
So over Easter weekend we did the auction rounds and did get some good deals.  We are planning on going again in a few weeks to try and get more things that are on our want list for our homestead.
Easter Sunday we spent the day at my grandparents doing yard work.  I decided this year instead of busted my butt cooking and backing to only have to drag all the food back home that we would donate our time and do yard work that my grandfather (84) just can’t do any more.  We cleaned up sticks, leave and cut down sucker trees that had come up in the lily’s out front by the road.  The cool thing is grandpa told us to come get any plants that we want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment